- Know your environment well. Research and ask friends who have been there.
- Always start from small. The first hike of the season should be a short one.
- Make sure you pack enough water for your hike.
- You don’t need to bring loads of food. A ham sandwich, chip crumbs and half a granola bar may already make superb meal.
- Bring matches or a lighter even on a day trip.
- Accidents are inevitable. Bring a first aid kit and make sure you know how to use it.
- Take careful steps. The wilderness is not a place for recklessness.
- Respect the wild. Be conscious of your actions.
- Know how far you have to go to get proper medical care.
- Never hike alone.
- Layer on clothes but make it easy for you to don and doff a few when needed.
- Your group should hike with the slowest walker in front and the fastest at the back.
- Take regular breaks to drink and eat. Put sunblock on and don’t forget to re-apply constantly. Pace yourself so you have energy to complete the hike.
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surface.
- Dispose waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts.
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.
|(1) Sagada, Mt. Province||(4) Mt. Hibok Hibok, Camiguin|
|(2) Batad, Mt. Province||(5) Apo National Park, Davao|
|(3) La Mesa Dam, Eco Park|
|THINGS TO BRING:||RECOMMENDED BRAND/S||WHAT TO WEAR||RECOMMENDED BRAND/S|
|Day Pack||The North Face / Osprey||Quick Dry Shirt||Columbia / The North Face|
|Water||Nalgene||Quick Dry Pants||Columbia / The North Face|
|Trail Water||Osprey / Salomon||Lite Hiking Shoes||Columbia/Keen|
|Rain Protection||Coghlans Poncho||Light weight Jacket||The North Face / Columbia|
|Trail Food||Nature Valley Power Bar/Trail Mix||Cap||Columbia / The North Face|
|Light||Maglite||Convertible pants||Columbia / The North Face / Lakambini / Lagalag|
|Utensils||Coghlan’s/Light My Fire/Alite|
|Trekking Poles||Black Diamond||Bandana||Headware / TNF|
|First Aid Kit||Coghlans|
|Head Lamp||Black Diamond|
|Extra Clothes||Columbia/The North Face/ Mountain Hardwear|
|Multi Purpose Tool||Gerber|